PHOTO: Hit-and-run driver kills baby


When on January 14, 2012, Biyi and Bose Bolaji had their first baby, family and friends rejoiced with them. However, just 10 months after their bundle of joy arrived, he met his death after being hit by a reckless driver in Abuja.
PUNCH Metro learnt that Bose and another bystander, Emmanuel Amairo, were hit by the unidentified driver’s car.
Biyi told our correspondent that his wife, who was carrying his late son, Adeyemi, was about to get a cab along Airport Road and were standing by the roadside when they were run over by the car.
He said, “That Thursday, my wife and baby were on Airport Road attempting to get a cab to my friend’s house. Suddenly, a Toyota Corolla ran into them as well as another man who was standing beside them. The driver also hit a nearby pole before finally stopping.
“Bystanders and sympathisers responded immediately to rescue them. The driver just came down from his car and a few minutes later, fled on foot. He did not even bother to assist them in getting to the hospital.”

Biyi said his wife sustained a fracture of her leg and bruises all over her body and was immediately rushed to Garki Hospital while the baby was taken to National Hospital.
PUNCH Metro learnt that the driver abandoned his vehicle and since then had not made effort to contact the victims.
“The consultant neurosurgeon told me on Friday that my baby was brain dead and was on life support at the Intensive Care Unit. We continued to pray and hoped that his condition would improve. On Monday, after my wife had been discharged, I took her to dress her wounds when I received a call from the doctor that the baby had died,” he said.
Biyi told our correspondent that upon investigation, it was discovered that the vehicle’s number plate, AL 585 DGE EDO, was owned by one Alaibe Henry, a Nigerian Immigration officer.
He said he immediately reported the matter to Lugbe Police Division but added that it could not be ascertained if it was the owner of the vehicle that drove the car when the incident occurred.
The second victim, Emmanuel Amairo, told our correspondent that he could not remember all that happened because it happened so fast.
He said, “Everything happened so fast. I was standing at Voice of Nigeria Junction along Airport Road when a Toyota car just ran into me and another woman (Bose) and her baby. The vehicle hit me in the legs and I hit my forehead on the ground. We were all rushed to the National Hospital but the hospital rejected us.
“The lady (Bose)  and I were taken to Garki Hospital. I remained in the hospital for five days before being discharged. Even now I’m still in pain.”
Biyi said he was shocked that 12 days after, the driver had not deemed it fit to trace the victims.
“As a driver myself, if I run over even a goat, I stop and ask for the owner to apologise and if necessary, for restitution. I see no reason why they (victims) should have been left lying on the ground without medical aid sought for them”, he said.
Biyi said he had reported the matter to the immigration authorities but nothing had been done.
The Public Relations Officer, NIS, Mr. Joachim Olumba, said he wasn’t aware of the incident. He however said if the incident was true, then it was for the police to investigate.
 “The victims ought to report to the police who are in charge of such investigations. It’s unlike an officer to act in such manner but if the police come to us for information, we will cooperate fully,” he said.
However, the Police Public Relations Officer, FCT Command, Doris England, confirmed the incident to our correspondent on the telephone.
England however said the police had yet to get the identity of the driver.
 “The vehicle has been recovered by the police and investigations are ongoing. We will use the registration number to get the identity and address of the driver,” she said.