8 Dangerous & Deadly Things Most Nigerians Do Ignorantly


Ignorance is a very dangerous disease that is capable of destroying one’s life. We usually do a lot of deadly things due to ignorance. Below are some of the deadly things Nigerians do ignorantly:

1. Shutting Off Kerosene Stove With Air Exhaled From Mouth.

A burning kerosene stove produces a poisonous gas popularly known as carbon(ii)oxide (carbon monoxide) which could be inhaled through the process of shutting off the stove with air exhaled from lung through mouth. This poisonous gas has numerous harmful effects on one’s health and could lead to death.

Inhaling carbon monoxide can cause many respiratory diseases. It can cause neurological and kidney damage, including blood clots that damage the brain or other organs.

2. Refueling A Running Generator.

Most people are fond of doing this. It has become a habit amongst many people. But the truth is that, it is very dangerous due to the fact that it could lead to fire outbreak that may end up wasting precious lives. Petroleum is highly flammable, hence a spark from the plug cable could be disastrous. A small flash of light produce through a wire by an electric current can catch up with a petrol to give rise to fire outbreak. This is not limited to only Generator, varieties of vehicles are all inclusive.

3. Careless Use Of Candles.

Careless use of candles had led to the death of many in the past and it is still killing till date due to carelessness. Keeping burning candles closer to flammable materials results to fire outbreak.

It is advisable to keep candles away from any obviously flammable items such as books and tissue boxes. Always blow a candle out before leaving a room.

4. Storing Flammable Liquids Carelessly.

Abnormal positioning of Flammable liquids, such as petrol, kerosene, or methylated spirits is very dangerous.

Flammable liquids should be placed appropriately to avoid contact with fire. No flammable liquid should be kept in the kitchen. It is very necessary to read the label of any liquid substance before storing, in order to confirm its flammability.

5. Smoking In Bedroom.

This point is specifically for smokers. A cigarette that is not put out properly can cause a flame, as the butt may stay alit for some minutes. It could burst into flames if it comes in contact with flammable materials, such as furniture.

6. Giving Children Access to Matches and lighter.

This is common among females. Little kids can cause a fire out of curiosity, to see what would happen if they set fire on an object. Keep any matches or lighters out of reach of children, to avoid any curiosity turned disaster. Install a smoke alarm in your child’s room and practice a home escape plan with your children and family in case of any emergency.

7. Fixing electric appliances yourself.

Some people often tries to fix their appliances themselves even when they are not trained in that particular field. A slight misconnection can turn to be disaster. Don’t ever try to fix any electric gadget yourself unless you are a trained specialist in that particular field.

Damaged, worn, cracked or corroded electrical wires can increase the chance of electrical accidents. Have a qualified electrician check your wiring on a regular basis to ensure wiring is safe. Upgrade and replace old and faulty wires when the need arises.



Leave a Reply