When dating someone younger, the ‘half your age plus seven’ rule comes into .. But a more common and relatable topic centers around dating older men. It’s no news that dating older guys is definitely a thing among Nigerian women and we’ve got some insight into this that we’d love to share.
Whether it’s for financial purposes, compatibility, maturity or whatever, more women these days are drawn to older men. We feel whatever works for you is fine as long as you know what you’re getting yourself into and you are an adult ( 18+).
The Differences You’ll Encounter
Physical: There will definitely be a difference in your energy level and your enthusiasm towards certain things will differ.
Emotional: His emotional needs will be different from yours because he’s in a different stage in life. Chances are he’ll also be less vulnerable when expressing himself.
Social: Your social circle might be significantly different and might be quite challenging.
The Pros Of Dating Older Men
1. Emotional maturity: Older men can be more emotionally available and tolerant towards their partners (i.e. if they aren’t the gatekeepers of patriarchy). They’ve been through ups and downs in past relationships and have their emotions in check.
2. Financially stable: Hopefully he’s past his ‘what am I doing with my life phase’, and is on a good career path and is at least financially stable. It isn’t about making hundreds of millions in a year but rather about being smart with money.
3.Less jealousy: He’s assured of what he has (including you) and isn’t threatened by another man.
The Cons Of Dating Older Men
1. Less physical compatibility; this may reflect in your sex life, his reproductive capability and other activities. You will be in the prime of your life, and he’ll be rapidly approaching the end of his.
2. They are controlling: Older men are used to taking control of any situation, including you. Older men are set in their ways and try to make things align with their preferences. Personally and professionally they can try to one-up you and feel they should be in control of the relationship.
3. Less exciting: Older men are not always as spontaneous as younger guys. They thrive in more relaxing environment and would rather call it a night than head out to a party. Eventually you could find yourself having little to no social life.
4. Constant judging from outsiders: Here’s one thing you actually can’t control. You both will constantly be the topic of someone discussion. Sometimes it’s your ability to socialize with friends and family.
If you’re sick of dating younger guys, it may be time for something different. Dating an older man will at least give you a new perspective on men and relationships. Bottom line is it doesn’t matter how old the guy you fall for is, he just needs to have the qualities you’re seeking in a partner
Ever been with an older person or do you an opinion on this? We’d love to know what you think in the comments section.
READ: Important Questions To Ask Your Partner While Dating