Chinese vet, 53, dies of deadly Monkey B virus after catching it in lab


Chinese authorities have confirmed their first human death from the horrific monkey B virus.


The virus is a form of herpes which normally only occurs in primates but can cause nausea, vomiting, fever, headache, fatigue, muscle pains, and blistering in humans.


The Chinese Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (CCDC) said the 53-year-old vet died in May after dissecting two dead primates, believed to be macaques, as part of his experimental research.


The man reportedly experienced symptoms of the virus after working on the animals and eventually died in hospital.


The CCDC warned anyone working on primates they could be potentially harmed by the infection, which rarely jumps from monkeys to humans, according to RT.


The virus is causing concern among the scientific community.

According to the United States Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) it is “extremely rare” for humans to be infected with the virus, which it says can cause “severe brain damage or death if you do not get treatment immediately”.


Several cases of rare or largely unknown diseases have caused alarm in recent months, including the news a Texas resident returning from Nigeria was hospitalised with monkeypox, which has a 1% chance of being fatal.

Leave a Reply