|Real name||Charles Chukwuma Soludo, CFR|
|Date of birth||28 July 1960|
|Country of Origin||Federal Republic of Nigeria|
|Net worth||₦2.3 billion – $5 Million|
|Education||University of Nigeria, Nsukka|
He is 61 years old as at 2021.
Charles Chukwuma Soludo was born on the 28th of July 1960 in Aguata Local Government Area of Anambra State, Nigeria, and is the son of Charles Chukwuma Soludo. Charles Soludo’s mother, Mgbafor, died when he was eight years old at his hometown of Isuanioma, near Isuofia, in the Anambra State. Although little is known about Charles Chukwuma Soludo’s early life, he has demonstrated a natural aptitude for academics throughout his life. This is evident in his academic pursuits as well as in his later professional decision as a lecturer at a university.
View this post on Instagram
Charles Chukwuma Soludo pursued his Bachelors of Science degree in Economics at the University of Nsukka in Enugu state after completing his primary and secondary school. He received a First-Class degree in 1984 for his achievements as a scholar and as a bright student. Three years later, in 1987, Chukwuma Soludo graduated with honours from the University of Nsukka in Enugu State with a Masters degree in Economics. His PhD in Economics was likewise obtained from the same university. Soludo excelled in both of his graduate courses, earning First Class honours in both while also receiving numerous prizes.
Charles Chukwuma Soludo’s brilliant mind and scholartics sense in the field of Macroeconomics has taken him on lecturing and researching spree both locally and Internationally. He started his career as an academia quite early. In 1998, Charles Soludo became a professor of economics at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, and in 1999, he became a visiting professor at Swarthmore College in Swarthmore, Pennsylvania, USA.
Prof Charles Soludo has been a visiting scholar at the International Monetary Fund, the University of Cambridge, the Brookings Institution, the University of Warwick and the University of Oxford. At these universities, he lectures on various aspects of Economics, some of which are multi-country macro econometric modelling, techniques of computable general equilibrium modelling, survey methodology and panel data econometrics.
Every professor has publications to his/her name, it is one of the hallmarks of being a veteran professor. Same can be said of Charles Soludo, in addition to the numerous publications in his name, he has also co-authored and authored numerous books. Some of his publications include;
- “North-South Macroeconomic Interactions: Comparative Analysis using the MULTIMOD and INTERMOD global models”, Charles Chukwuma Soludo, Brookings discussion papers in international economics, Brookings Institution (1992)
- “Implications of alternative macroeconomic policy responses to external shocks in Africa”, Charles Chukwuma Soludo, Development research papers series, United Nations Economic Commission for Africa, Socio-Economic Research and Planning Division (1993)
- “Growth performance in Africa: Further evidence on the external shocks versus domestic policy debate”, Charles Chukwuma Soludo, Development research papers series, United Nations Economic Commission for Africa, Socio-Economic Research and Planning Division (1993)
- “The Consequences of US Fiscal Actions in a Global Model with Alternative Assumptions about the Exchange Regime in Developing Countries”, Ralph C. Bryan and Charles Chukwuma Soludo. Chapter 13 in David Currie and David Vines, eds., North-South Linkages and International Macroeconomic Policy, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press for the Centre for Economic Policy Research. (Brookings Discussion Paper in International Economics No. 103. Washington, DC: Brookings Institution, February 1994.)
- “Macroeconomic adjustment, trade, and growth: Policy analysis using a macroeconomic model of Nigeria”, Charles Chukwuma Soludo, AERC research paper, African Economic Research Consortium (1995) ISBN 9966-900-26-8 ISBN 978-9966900265
- Soludo, Charles Chukwuma (1998). Macroeconomic Policy Modelling of African Economies. Acena. ISBN 978-2114-29-4.
- “Our Continent, Our Future: African Perspectives on Structural Adjustment”, T. Mkandawire and C.C. Soludo, Council for the Development of Social Science Research in Africa, Dakar, 1999, in Journal of Sustainable Development in Africa, 1:2, 1999.
- “African Voices on Structural Adjustment: A Companion to Our Continent, Our Future”, Edited by Thandika Mkandawire and Charles C. Soludo. At least three editions: IDRC/CODESRIA/Africa World Press 2002, ISBN 0-88936-888-0, 280 pp.; Paperback, ISBN 978-0-88936-888-0 Jan 2003; Africa World Press 2003, ISBN 0-86543-779-3
- Okonjo-Iweala, Ngozi; Charles Chukwuma Soludo and Mansur Muhtar (2002). The Debt Trap in Nigeria: Towards a Sustainable Debt Strategy. Africa World Press. ISBN 1-59221-001-5.
- “The Politics of Trade and Industrial Policy in Africa: Forced Consensus”, Edited by Charles Chukwuma Soludo, Michael Osita Ogbu and Ha-Joon Chang, Africa World Press (January 2004), ISBN 1-59221-164-X, ISBN 978-1-59221-164-7 (Also International Development Research Centre, ISBN 1-59221-165-8)
- “Potential Impacts of the New Global Financial Architecture on Poor Countries”, Edited by Charles Soludo, Musunuru Rao, ISBN 978-2-86978-158-0, 80 pages, 2006, CODESRIA, Senegal, Paperback
Charles Chukwuma Soludo is happily married to Nonye Soludo, and their marriage is blessed with six children.
The versatile economist, Charles Chukwuma Soludo has been known for his high taste for class. Though no much public details are known about his personal cars, however, he has often been reported commuting in conveys of at least seven exotic cars.
Range Rover is a spec product of Land Rover which is a British automobile brand in the four-wheel-drive cars category that exclusively offers premium and luxury sport utility vehicles (SUV). Range Rover is one of the youngest of the British car brand and launched in 1970, which it was first built in 1967 and finalized in 1969.
The Land Cruiser carries over mostly unchanged. The only update from 2020 is that the Heritage Edition can now be optioned with a third row of seats. The top-of-the-line model is also now available in Classic Silver and Magnetic Gray metallic paint colors.
When the one-time CBN governor was in office, he had a place of residence at 14 Daresalam Street, Wuse 11, Abuja, which is one of the most expansive areas in Abuja.
Prof Soludo has also lived in Ethiopia, UK, and the USA and traveled to 45 other countries as an itinerant scholar and consultant to 20 international organizations including the World Bank, IMF, European Union, AfDB, USAID, UK-DFID, UNDP, UNCTAD.
In 2003, Professor Charles Soludo joined the Nigerian government as the Chief Economic Adviser to former President Olusegun Obasanjo and the Chief Executive Officer of the National Planning Commission of Nigeria.
In May 2004, he became the Chairman of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN). Also, he got an appointment from the Nigerian President – Mohammadu Buhari, to be part of the newly formed 8-member Economic Advisory Council (EAC) on the 16th of September 2019.
In 2010, he campaigned to be the Governor of his hometown, however, he lost to Peter Obi during the elections. But it seems, the erudite professor hasn’t given up on politics yet, he still aspires to be the Governor of Anambra in 2022 (@soludo2022).
Being an erudite professor and a savvy economist sure confers honor on you, and Professor Soludo has been honoured severally. A list of some of the awards and recognition he has received includes:
- Red Cross awards for his contributions to the development of the society – 2018.
- The Banker Magazine published by the Financial Times of London named him the Global and African Central Bank Governor of the Year – 2005, 2006 and 2007
- Global Banker’s Award in London – 2006
- D.SC (Honoris Causa) by the University of Calabar.
- Financial Times of London named him a Great Reformer.
- Federal University of Agriculture, Makurdi honoured him with a D.SC (Honoris Causa).
- Commander of the Order of the Federal Republic (CFR) – Nigeria’s third-highest national honour.
Charles Chukwuma Soludo Net worth
As a former governor and chairman of the board of directors of the Central Bank of Nigeria his net worth has grown significantly, Dr. Soludo have an estimated net worth of ₦2.3 billion – $5 Million