Oromoni was taken to church for prayers — not hospital — Doctor confesses in court


Oromoni was taken to church for prayers — not hospital — Doctor confesses in court

Aghogho Owhojede, the medical doctor who assumed care of the late Sylvester Oromoni, said the 12-year-old student of Dowen College in Lagos, was not taken to a hospital for treatment.

According to NAN, Owhojede, who has been the family doctor for 15 years, testified before an Ikeja coroner’s court seeking to unravel the circumstances surrounding the death of the student.

Owhojede was questioned during Tuesday’s proceedings for over seven hours (9.30 am to 5.15 p.m.) by the counsel to Dowen College, two accused students of the school, Lagos government, and Nigerian Bar Association (NBA).

Answering questions from Akin George, counsel to Lagos state government, Owhojede said he attended the same church, God’s Grace Ministry International Church, with the Oromoni family.

The doctor told the court that the ailing Oromoni was taken to church for prayers for an unspecified number of days by his family.

“What was your response to the treatment at a church as opposed to a proper medical facility?” George asked.

Replying, the doctor said: “I am aware that the church is not a treatment centre. I am not against prayer, I will prefer a combination of both prayer and medical treatment.”

The doctor said on the day Oromoni died, he had referred him to Delta State University Teaching Hospital, Oghara, for further treatment.

He said the late Oromoni could not be taken to the teaching hospital because his condition deteriorated and he passed away.

Which hospital was he ever taken to before he died?” George asked.

“He was treated at home,” the doctor responded.

“Can you confirm that the deceased was not taken to any hospital for treatment?” George further asked.

“No, he wasn’t, my lord,” Owhojede said.

Mikhail Kadiri, the coroner, adjourned proceedings until February 7 for the continuation of the hearing.

Leave a Reply